What can be more pleasant than sitting in your beautiful garden patio, enjoying the warm summer nights. Small gardens can add interest and charm to an apartment patio or backyard patio.
What does it take to create a patio garden that stays beautiful all year, and requires minimum upkeep?
You need only passion for living things and to love outdoor living.
Patio gardens have become very popular and are not that difficult to create.
Steps to take:
1. The first step toward creating your patio garden is to observe your patio and figure out towards which direction it is oriented, how much sun or shade it gets and how big or small it is. You should need to keep track of this for several days in a row in order to get an accurate idea.
2. The second step is to survey your outdoor patio and determine how you will be able to use this space. It doesn’t take a lot of space to set up a garden on your patio or in any other small area in your backyard or, if you have no yard at all, in a window box.
However, if you have a large backyard patio, you will able to use larger pots that are placed strategically along it in different locations.
Stunning Patio Gardens (video)
But, if your patio is relatively small, don’t despair. There are so many solutions. One of them is hanging baskets that will work nicely and beautifully. Use your imagination and you will probably be pleasantly surprised at what you can do!
3. For a garden you need potting soil, flowers and plants, rocks or shipping peanuts, water features, flower pots, planters and other accessories you may wish to add.
There are a wide variety of containers you can use for your small patio garden. The important things to remember are to select water-resistant containers that have drainage holes in the bottom. You can choose from clay flower pots, small pots or buckets, barrels sawed in half, hanging baskets and even cinder blocks!
Based on the amount of available space, you can choose a wide variety of flower pots and potting soil. Place the pots on your patio, arranging them while they are still empty.
4. For plants go to your local nursery. The gardening experts there can help you start your garden. Choose plants that fit well in the pots you choose. If you are creating a vibrant patio garden, bright colors may be used. If, on the other hand, you are going for a more soothing effect, you may choose paler colors.
You can choose annual spring flowers and perennial plants that will give you blooms from one season to the next. Establish flower beds in corners or along walk ways. Always consider your local climate and plant according to the sun and shade needs of your plants. Be sure to carefully follow the instructions included with them and don’t be afraid to seek the assistance of a gardening professional if you are unsure.
A good planting medium is vital to the success of your small patio garden. Don’t use the soil from your yard or flower garden. Instead you should invest in some good planting medium from your local gardening store or greenhouse. It is important for the success of your garden to have loose soil so that your plants’ roots will be properly aerated.
5. When you have planted your purchases, you might want to consider adding patio accessories and decorate your new patio garden with some simple patio ideas. Furniture, special patio string lights, fountains, wind chimes all make great accessories.
However, the accessories you choose will depend on the amount of space your patio. If the patio space permits, you can create paths or walk ways that lead from one area to the next.
6. A small patio garden offers a multitude of benefits to you and your family. Gardening can be a learning and educational project for the whole family.